Moving House? At some point we all do it. Here are some easy tips to avoid a ‘moving house headache’.
1. Get your insurances in order. Find out if your current insurance policy will cover the move, this may or may not include moving yourself / hiring a removalist. Find out exactly what your are covered for.
2. Make sure the electricity meter is accessible. Check your meter before the electricity is connected/disconnected.
3. Look after your fridge when moving. If your fridge/s was laid on the side or back while being moved it will need to be left for 24 hours before being plugged in and turned on. This will ensure the fridge coolant works properly.
4. Disconnect AFTER the house is cleaned. Whether your are DIY-ing or getting in professional cleaners, make sure the electricity/gas is disconnected after cleaning has finished.
5. How to switch your gas on. Turn your gas meter lever (usually a red/yellow handle or tap) so it’s vertical with the pipe. Wait a 2-5 minutes before trying your gas appliances. Appliance pilot lights will need re-igniting too. If you still having issues contact your gas supplier.
Moving into an apartment? To save big delays, find out if there are any strict moving times, where apartment access bays are located, and how to get a lift key. It is usually a good idea to email the building manager and let them know your moving plans as well.
[Source: Some information taken from Energy Australia]